Sunday, February 04, 2007

TRIVIA TIME



Pictured is Petr Sykora and the scoring line that he was part of when the Devils won the Stanley Cup in 2000.
Sykora is the only Oiler on the roster right now that has a Stanley Cup win in his hockey resume (or CV - he is a Euro).

I forgot about that Cup win - mainly because it was an Arnott winning goal that won the Cup for Jersey - and the interesting story about Sykora from that series against Dallas.
Petr was not playing in the winning game six as he was in the hospital after a dirty hit by - who else? - Derian Hatcher knocked Sykkie out of the game by stretcher. Larry Robinson and Patrick Elias draped Sykora jerseys over their shoulders while celebrating the Cup win. Then they brought the trophy to Sykora in the hospital.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Before Sykora joined the Oilers this season, who was the last player with a Stanley Cup ring (won before he joined Edmonton, not after) to play on our Oilers?

A little hint here: The last season that the Oilers had an actual Stanley Cup winning player on the roster (before Sykora) was also the last season that the Oilers had a member of the 1990 Stanley Cup winning squad suit up for the Oilers.

Extra Trivia Question: Who is the last remaining active NHL player who has won a Stanley Cup with the Oilers?

I was a bit surprised how little Stanley Cup-winning experience has been on the team in recent years. Small-market teams can't buy Cup winners, can they?

Apologies if my late-night research was flawed and I missed someone.

3 comments:

MikeP said...

My answer to the first one is Billy Guerin, who won in 1995 with the Devils.

The second one is Marty Gelinas, and how disgusting is it that he almost won a Cup as a Flame too?

young d said...

Correct-a-mundo.

Wasn't exactly the hardest question, but interesting I hope.

Aaaaaaah...hockeydb.com

And, yes, I'm glad Gelinas didn't get his Cup with Calgary. It would tarnish the Oiler Cup.

Anonymous said...

yah, I used hockeydb to confirm Guerin (he was one of my top 3 guesses, forget who the other two were) and Gelinas was easy once I looked at the team roster for that year... I'm afraid my knowledge of past teams and years doesn't come near approaching Lowetide's, despite the fact I lived through them too.

I still remember the first day I found that site. Heaven. Almost as good as when I found out I get free access to Lexis/Nexis and the Oxford English Dictionary through work.