Friday, November 17, 2006

My ears. My aching ears.


Just turned on NHL on TSN to watch Pittsburgh at Buffalo.
First of all, I really like those blue and yellow Buffalo jerseys. They are the nicest new kit this season. The worst? The regular Buffalo jerseys. It's been discussed to death, but yuckos muchachos.

Listening to Chris Cuthbert doing play-by-play during the game reminded me of how much I miss Cuthbert on CBC. Mark Lee has a smoother voice, Jim Hughson has a much better vocabulary and dynamics and, despite missing calls and not knowing player names, Bob Cole is like one of those gentlemen from archived games from the past (oh yeah, he IS from the past).
Cuthbert's voice itself is not the greatest tool, but he calls a game with clarity, some dynamics and keeps you interested in the game. He also lets the flow of the game take care of itself without too much fake drama or overexaggerating.

But Glenn Healy doing colour....I had to serve Mr. Healy drinks and listen to him expound for about an hour to someone at my bar during the Heritage Classic weekend. Normally I would listen in to what MAY HAVE been a fascinating hockey conversation and even chipped in my share, but just hearing his monologue caused me to lose interest.
Luckily Kelly Hrudey showed up the next day. He was much more interesting to speak to (I made him read a copy of In The Box - he pretended to enjoy it) and more accomodating to "the help."
( Was that just BRUSH WITH GREATNESS pt. 2? - Maybe)

Back to Chris Cuthbert. Mark Lee treated Oiler fans to most of the playoff games but I would have preferred Cuthbert - whose nickname is Cuss, by the way - to call the game.
Mark Lee is competent in a difficult job, but to me he is the poor man's Chris Cuthbert. Or maybe the deaf man's Chris Cuthbert?



1 comment:

Slip Kids said...

Not to bust out the homer card... but I think you could make a case for Quinn and Ferraro being the best play-by-play team in the country. Cole and Neale should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. Hughson, Cuthbert and Miller are great pbp guys but they're all stuck with twits (Millen, Healy and McGuire respectively). Millions is awful, and Joe Bowen's voice is painfully irritating. (The guy who does Sens games once in a while on HNIC is pretty good, his name escape s me at the moment though)

Quinn's probably the best, smoothest pbp guy the Oilers have had in years (Bruce Buchanan anyone?) and Ferraro has improved remarkably from his first season. He's got a lot of interesting insights and he delivers them without being smarmy or obnoxious (Pierre McGuire syndrome).

Now if they could only do something about Principe...